Monday, August 29, 2011

Mummy Monday with Melissa Moss

Hello! It's time for another Mummy Monday. Today I'm really excited to be introducing you to one of my favourite artists Melissa Moss. She is a full time Mum & very successful artist whose paintings have been bought by Susan Sarandon no less! I've followed her blog for a while now and she really is an inspiring lady who followed a dream.

Enjoy! :)

A day in the life of Melissa Moss

7:00 Sam (who turned 4 in July) wakes up. I can hear him on the monitor. He looks at his Star Wars books and tells very animated stories to himself.

8:00 I usually get up around this time. For the past 6-9 months Sam is able to entertain himself in the mornings for about an hour. To get this extra hour of sleep has been amazing. I have much more energy throughout the day.

8:30 - 9:00 I fix breakfast for me and Sam. Sometimes we tell a story over breakfast or read a book but then sometimes we just sit in silence while I am still waking up.

9:00 - 10:00 I check emails and try to get a little work done while Sam plays. My husband usually gets up around this time and plays with Sam so this gives me some time.

10:00 I try to get out of the house by 10:00 with Sam. There are several things we do during this time...run errands, go to botanical gardens, the library, the park, the pool or visit with friends. We're usually out of the house for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

12:00 We get home and make lunch. If the mosquitoes aren't too bad we'll sit on the porch and eat our lunch.

1:00 - We'll read some books if Sam wants to. If he wants to play I can check email and work a little.

2:00 - Sam doesn't nap anymore but he does have "quiet time" which is about an hour (longer if I'm lucky). He'll play by himself in his room but after an hour starts to open his door and say "Hello?" This means he is finished with quiet time. I try to get some work done during this time but sometimes I'm too tired and have to take a cat nap.

3:00 - Sam usually has an after quiet-time snack.

3:30 - This is the time that's the hardest for me. If I don't take a nap I get really tired and coming up with stuff to do in the afternoon is difficult. Sometimes we'll run errands or take a walk before dinner. And sometimes (though I don't like to admit it) I'll let Sam watch an episode (or 2) of one of his favorite shows. This gives me more time to get some work done.

5:30 - We start thinking about and cooking dinner.

6:00 - We are usually eating dinner around now.

7:00 - We give Sam baths every other night so on the off nights we try to go for an after dinner walk around the neighborhood.

7:30 - Sam cleans his room and we read books until Sam's bedtime.

8:30 - Sam is in bed.

9:00 - 9:30 - Sam is asleep.

9:00 - 11:00 - If I'm not completely exhausted this is when I will paint. Having a deadline helps me get motivated. But a lot of the time I will just sketch in front of the TV. It's very difficult for me to just watch TV and not feel guilty about it.

11:30 - I'm in bed reading my book.

12:00 - Lights out. My brain is usually spinning so it takes me at least a half hour to fall asleep.

You can find out more about Melissa here:


For more information as to why I started Mummy Monday please click here. And if you would like to take part send me a message :)

3 comments:

melissa moss said...

Thank you so much, Emma!

noelle said...

What a wonderful post, What a talented lady Melissa is, I,m off to visit her site!!

Why this blog? said...

Emma, thank you so much for visiting my blog and for the advice regarding panic attacks. I will take a look at the site and the book you sent me a link too. Thats so kind of you.