Thursday, May 14, 2009

Stillness Speaks

"The human condition: lost in thought"

"The stream of thinking has enormous momentum that can easily drag you along with it. Every thought pretends that it matters so much. It wants to draw your attention in completely.
Here is a new practice for you: don't take your thoughts too seriously."

"Most people spend their entire life imprisoned within the confines of their own thoughts. They never go beyond 
a mind-made sense of self that is conditioned by the past.
In you, as each human being, there is a dimension of consciousness far deeper than thought. It is the very essence of who you are. We may call it presence, awareness or the unconditioned consciousness. Finding that dimension in you frees you from the suffering you inflict on yourself when the mind-made "little me" is all you know and runs your life. Love, joy, creative expansion, and lasting inner peace cannot come into your life except through that dimension of unconditioned consciousness.
If you can recognize, even occasionally, the thoughts that go through your mind as simply thoughts, if you can witness your own emotional reactive patterns as they happen, then that dimension of unconditioned consciousness is already emerging in you." 

Taken from the book Stillness Speaks by Eckart Tolle

Because quite a few of you enjoyed reading Eckart Tolle's quote last week, I thought it would be nice to share another one with you :)

Today I was hoping to show you the painting I've been working on for my friends Birthday present, but I suddenly thought I'm not seeing her until tomorrow and if she looks at my blog she'll see it and it'll ruin the surprise! So I promise to show you tomorrow instead! Hope to see you all then :)

4 comments:

Niki (The Vintage Artist) said...

Hi Emma, looking forward to joining you on Marisa's course, it's going to be amazing. xx

Stacy said...

Thank you for another passage from Eckhart's book. Today I am going to try not to take my thoughts too seriously. I needed this reminder today.

Shabby Chick said...

Hi Em

Thanks v much for becoming my first Twitter follower! I know I said I wouldn't do it but I thought what the hell.

Will ponder the quote later!

Mel xxx

Jacqueline said...

Emma, i love this Eckart Tolle's quote! Thank you so much for sharing...it feeds me with food of thots for the rest of the day. :)

Yep..wouldn't want you to ruin the surprise for your friend. I will wait to see it tomorrow! hehe

And YAY we are gonna be classmates in Marrisa's e-course! So happy and excited! See you @ the fish bowl.. lol Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!